Table of Content
Everyone has probably gone through the tiring process of endless scrolling long posts or articles. In addition, this difficulty can make the reading experience tedious and inefficient.
We all know the importance of a table of contents in any piece of document. Also, it provides an easy way to navigate and makes the reading experience seamless. Similarly, there are great WordPress plugins that help to insert a table of contents into your websites.
In this article, you’ll find the list of best WordPress table of contents plugins along with their features.
A. Need of WordPress Table of Contents Plugins
Plugins play a vital role in improving the functionality of a WordPress website. Furthermore, a table of contents (TOC) plugin is crucial while publishing long and detailed articles. Here are some of the reasons behind the need for WordPress table of contents plugins.
i. Easy Navigation
A table of contents helps the readers to jump between topics quickly. Also, it keeps your content organized and neat. In the end, your readers will find the information they’re looking for easier and faster.
ii. Assists Search Engines
Article with proper structure and subheading distribution has the best chance of ranking. Also, blogs or posts with an appropriate table of contents have a greater probability of being noticed by web crawlers and visible on search engines.
iii. Makes Reading Interactive
Interaction is the key when it comes to engagement. The table of contents helps your readers walk through the post without being boring. Moreover, engaging posts help to boost the reading time and conversion rate of your website.
iv. Glimpse of the Content
A quick glance at the table of contents lets the readers know what’s inside. Also, it can be a deciding factor for readers whether to invest time in the blog. Therefore, using a table of contents plugin in your WordPress site helps to drive like-minded traffic.
So, without any delays, let’s look at the 7 best WordPress table of contents plugins.
1. Table of Contents Plus
Table of Contents Plus is one of the most popular and powerful WordPress TOC plugins. Furthermore, this plugin has over 300,000 active installations and developed keeping Wikipedia in mind.
In addition, this plugin supports multiple languages if your blog is multilingual. Also, the plugin supports shortcodes letting you avoid complicated coding processes. Further, you can generate a sitemap of your entire WordPress site at once.
- Unique numbering scheme that is CSS friendly
- Customizable display position of the TOC
- Ability to exclude undesired heading like H5 and above
- Option to disable the table of contents in specific posts
- Sidebar support of table of contents
2. Easy Table of Contents
Easy Table of Contents is another popular TOC plugin. This plugin lets you automatically generate indexes for your blogs. Also, it easily integrates with the Rank Math plugin for SEO optimization.
Moreover, this plugin is highly customizable. It allows you to assign a theme for your table of contents. However, if you don’t want to use the prebuilt versions, you can create your theme from scratch.
- Toggle option to on or off the TOC in any post
- Compatible with page editors like Gutenberg, Elementor, Divi, and more
- Configurable highlight color of the sections
- Multiple counter bullet formats like decimal, roman, and more
- Option to choose which headings appear in the TOC
3. Rich Table of Contents
Rich Table of Contents is an easy-to-use WordPress TOC plugin for your website. At the moment, the plugin has over 20,000 active installs. Also, this plugin is focused on pursuing design and usability.
This TOC plugin is highly customizable. For example, you can set the position of the title left or center. Also, you can set individual designs for H2 and H3 headings. In addition, you can set the frame, animation, and smooth scroll in your TOC.
- Set colors of title, text, border, button background, and more
- Option of not loading CSS in the post
- Return to table of contents button (only for smartphones)
- Shortcode to palace your table of contents anywhere on the article
- Hide the table of contents on desired pages by entering page ID
4. LuckyWP Table of Contents
LuckyWP Table of Contents is an open-source WordPress TOC plugin. This plugin is SEO friendly which helps your website to rank on search engines. In addition, this plugin automatically generates and inserts a table of contents in your blogs.
Besides, this plugin works seamlessly with popular page builders like Elementor, Beaver Builder, and WPBakery Page Builder. Also, you can integrate this plugin with other popular plugins like Rank Math, WP Rocket, and more.
- WordPress Multilingual Plugin (WPML) for multilingual support
- Shortcode for manual insertion of table of contents
- Color schemes for dark and light modes
- Hierarchial or linear view mode of TOC
- Easily customize font size and weight
LuckyWP Table of Contents is a free and open-source WordPress plugin. You can download it via the official repository of WordPress.org.
5. Heroic Table of Contents
Heroic Table of Contents provides the easiest way of inserting a table of contents into your WordPress website. Also, you can automatically generate and insert TOC in your blog to provide easy navigation to the readers.
Moreover, this plugin allows you to create and insert multiple table of contents blocks as you need. You can insert several table of contents in a single long article. For example, you can add specific TOC for certain article sections.
- Responsive and mobile-friendly plugin
- Insert the table of content anywhere in the article
- Hide specific heading types in the table of contents
- 4 pre-designed styles to choose from
- Compatible with any WordPress theme
Heroic Table of Contents is a free-to-use WordPress plugin. You can download it from the official repository of WordPress.org.
SimpleTOC lets you add a fabulous table of contents to your WordPress blogs. This plugin integrates perfectly by adapting the color scheme of your theme. Also, you can easily use this plugin without any prior programming experience.
This plugin is best if you publish in multiple languages. Also, the plugin works with non-Latin text and is tested with Japanese and Arabic. In addition, SimpleTOC comes with French, Spanish, German, and Brazilian translations.
- Compatible with AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages) plugins
- Option to choose between ordered and unordered HTML list
- Compatible with Gutenberg’s native group styling
- Rank Math support for SEO Optimization
SimpleTOC is open-source software that is free to use, and you can download it via the official plugin repository of WordPress.org.
7. Joli Table of Contents
Joli Table of Contents is a high-performing TOC plugin for your WordPress website. Also, you can automatically insert the TOC in the posts or use shortcodes manually. Additionally, you can choose where to insert them like before/after the content or after specific headings.
This plugin lets you display the contents in 5 different ways. Further, you can choose from invisible, unfolded (in content), unfolded (floating on scroll), folded (in content), or folded (floating on scroll)
- Fully responsive plugin and works in all screen sizes
- Choose from a hierarchical or a flat view
- Ability to override theme color with custom styling
- Insert the TOC in the different pre-selected locations of posts
- Customizable CSS icons for expanding/collapse buttons
Joli Table of Contents is free to use a plugin that you can download from WordPress.org. However, a premium version is available on the plugin’s official website. The price comes in 3 tires.
- Solo: $29.99 with 1-year support and updates for a single site.
- Guru: $47 with 1-year support and updates for 5 sites.
- Hero: $97 with 1-year support and updates for 15 sites.
B. Our Recommendation
It’s pretty hard to recommend a single plugin from this list. All of the TOC plugins offer fantastic features and flexibility to your content. In addition, you can use the plugins for free. However, a purchase is necessary for some premium features.
We recommend either Table of Contents Plus or Easy Table of Contents WordPress plugin based on features, reviews, and support among all the plugins. In addition. they have solved the most issues comparing all the TOC plugins in the list. Also, many users have rated the plugin 5 out of 5. Furthermore, with over 300,000 active users, you can rest assured of the reading experience of your blogs.
Here we are now at the end of the article. We hope this article has helped you pick the right table of contents plugin with all the information about them.
We are open to feedback if you’re already using any of the WordPress table of contents plugins listed above. Also, you can check our other articles on the best reCAPTCHA plugin for WordPress and the best WordPress LMS plugins.
Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Also, subscribe to our Youtube channel for WordPress videos.